Harmony Club, Gombey Lounge
109 South Road, Paget Bermuda
Phone #: (441) 236-0540
“TO PROMOTE AND ASSIST WORKERS TO GAIN FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT.”
The name of the Hustle Truck program, is actually an acronym, which stands for “Helping the Unemployed Sustain Themselves with Limited Employment” (H.U.S.T.L.E.).
The objectives of this initiative include:
- Minimizing bureaucracy for the unemployed to provide them with employment opportunities despite past problems
- Fostering job readiness skills of participants for their eventual transition to productive work in society
- Helping the unemployed find employment
- Providing a source of income for the unemployed
- Developing a “life skills” plan for the unemployed
- Creating a sense of hope and increased self-worth of individuals
Some of the major projects and entrepreneurial initiatives completed include:
- Clearing the illegal dumping of trash
- Resurfacing the pitch of National Stadium Hockey Field
- General clearing of BLDC & WEDCO properties
- Maintaining the interior & exterior of the Grand Atlantic property
- Assembling furniture and cleanup after contractors for the Co-ed Rehab Facility
- Clearing Morgans Point vegetation for asbestos removal
- Participating in the Harborview Village Horticultural Project & the BELCO Make Work Program
- Promoting events & activities to generate revenue for Bermudians Against Debt
- Selling handmade designer scented candles/ Online shopping facility/ Novelty retail items
- Providing professional acupressure services/ Personal Training/ Massage Oil
How it Works
The Ministry of Public Works: provides the funding to Bermuda Housing Corporation for the program.
Bermuda Housing Corporation: responsible for development, instrumentation and management of the H.U.S.T.L.E. truck initiative on behalf of the Ministry based on the objectives provided by the Ministry.
Ministry of Works & Engineering: responsible for providing trucks for self drive for safe transportation of the H.U.S.T.L.E truck workers from the daily pick up point (Harmony Club) to the job site as well as disposal of any trash/waste that accumulates as a result of work being performed.
H.U.S.T.L.E Truck Programme Coordinator: responsible for administration of the day to day management of the programme as well as interviewing prospective candidates.
H.U.S.T.L.E Truck Officers: responsible for supervising, motivating and training the workers.
H.U.S.T.L.E Truck Workers: responsibilities are to participate fully in all programmes and activities as directed by the programme coordinator and officers. They must maintain a neat and tidy appearance, wear protective shoes and conduct themselves in an acceptable manner.
Interested in Enrolling
Here is what you need to do to be able to join the H.U.S.T.L.E. team:
- Complete the Hustle Truck Application Contract and email it or bring it in to the Harmony Club office.
- Wait until the coordinator contacts you to start work on Monday.
What is required once you are selected:
- Workers shall work for a 3 week period as part of the rotation system.
- Workers shall present themselves for work at the office by 8:00 AM from Monday – Friday (except for public holidays), and return by 4:00 PM.
- Workers are paid weekly, in arrears, by cheque and are encouraged to have bank accounts.
- Workers are to come with a pleasant & professional attitude, a willingness to grow and to work as a team.
“I invested my time and energy into a program that matched my particular aspirations.
Now the H.U.S.TL.E truck has given me the structure that I need to succeed within society.”Hustle Truck Client